Thursday, March 15, 2007

March 11 & 12, the Chiricahua Monument

So when I asked the Ranger lady who was asking for money if this Monument was worth taking the time to see, she assured me that it was. Instead of money I produced my 'golden geezer' card and was wave on in.

The very first thing me and Big Iron saw was three deer not 200 yards from the gate. If I had been faster I could have gotten a picture, but I'm sure you all know what deer look like.

Now I understand that a giant and up to 10 or so volcanic explosions covered this land with hot ash hundreds of feet thick. This made a big solid rock that cracked into hundreds of fractures. Erosion started at the cracks and these stacked columns are what is left. Makes for some fascinating hiking.

So that is what I did. I went to the top at 6000 ft. They had a neat hiking trail that made a 3 mile loop. I made part of the loop and took these pictures.





























































Just another last view of the large expanses between 'Sky Islands'. BTW, Cochise's Stronghold was in the mountains in the back ground.


So it was getting late,and I was supposed to cadge a nice bed at Tomboy's and YWR's place in Casa Grande (about 50 miles south of Phoenix). I still had nearly a couple hundred miles to go.

I could see getting there by about 4pm. Big iron was going delux. I had made it through Tucson, and was actually looking for their off ramp. Turns out it was still 10 or so miles up the road.

Hummmm....am I picking up a vibration or is that the road. I slowed a bit thinking that might help. But a mile later a rear tire blew....and me with a good spare but no jack. It was kind of a calculated risk. I called AAA for another rescue.  I thought about how this flat would have been handled up in those mtns that I been in a little earlier.

So again I waited on the side of the road for the AAA man to save my bacon. I had an off ramp to tell the lady about this time, and AAA had me running again in an hour.

So On to the YWR household where I was met by Tomboy then and Ye later. We had a pizza and beer night with Rob and Carol from up the road near Phoenix. I slept really good that evening as I think I considered Casa Grande to be on the home stretch, and I relaxed a bit. Thanks a bunch guys.

So it was up in the morning and off pretty early. I stopped and located a good used tire in Gila Bend. 30 dollars set my mind at ease. Still no Jack, but I couldn't need a jack now, could I.

I set my sights on Mike's in LA where I would leave the bike. After stopping for a chat with an old friend along the way, where I found that the Son of OMB who has the place in San Felipe has Colon Cancer. At this age there is scant good news.  (OMB is Old Man Bud, a 90 year old riding friend of mine)

OMB's son is a tough bugger. I bet he beats it.  (and he did beat it)

I ended up the trip at about 7:30 where I picked up some KFC and had dinner with Mike while he brought me up to date. Mike tried in vain to keep me up till 10pm with good tivo saved TV on his 50 incher. Soon I was a non responder ZZzzzzzzzzzzz

In spite of the turn of events it was a damned good trip. And again many thanks to my many new and old friends. :)

No comments: